Most of what we do is dirty. Where we do it is often hot and sometimes secluded. Proper equipment and preparation is key to your enjoyment and safety. Please run down the list and make sure you are ready.
- Reusable water bottle. We will provide the fill up.
- Water shoes. We wade into areas that are filled with muck. Make sure your shoes are secure and won’t be pulled off in deeper bottoms.
- Long sleeved shirts and pants. We climb into the mangroves, and they will take a bite out of you.
- Work gloves.
- Reef-safe sunscreen.
- Sunglasses. Polarized is preferred.
- Hat, bandanna, or other head covering to protect from the sun.
- Optional: Tools like pocket knives, rakes, grabbers, rope, etc. Also, if you have a kayak or canoe, please bring them. Don’t forget your safety gear!
Our days usually run from morning to mid afternoon, under the Florida sun. Take breaks often, and drink lots of water. Don’t wait until you are thirsty, that’s too late.
Safety is our number one goal. Always work in pairs or in groups. If you need to be separated for a short time, make sure others are aware of your destination and timing. Stay within vocal distance. Climbing in mangroves can be dangerous, make sure each step can bear your weight before lifting the other foot. Walking in muck is equally dangerous. If your feet get stuck and you fall under, you can find yourself in serious trouble. Hence the requirement that we work in teams and always within our limits.